CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankfully...

Ah, Thanksgiving.

Always been my favorite holiday, mostly because of the memories that this time of year holds for me. We would go to my uncle's house in NJ where my mom's side of the family would gather. Lots of people, tons of food, movies, football, crafts, board games, etc. My cousins and I would get up at the crack of dawn and bundle up the younger kids and go to NYC to watch the Macy's parade while dinner cooked. Getting up that early got tougher as we got older, since there was usually large quantities of alcohol of some sort involved on Thanksgiving Eve, lol. But regardless, it was fun. Then, life gets in the way, we grow up and graduate, move away and get lives of our own. We no longer get together in large groups for Thanksgiving. But those memories have created this image in my mind of something to live up to. I want to provide that same thing for my family. I want my daughter to look forward to the warmth and comfort and camraderie of family and friends at this time of year, and be able to list the things that she's thankful for.

Fortunately for us, we live close to my husband's family, and we get together often. I love that my daughter is so close to her cousins, it makes me so happy that we all get along so well. I cherish my family. So, that brings us to the first on the list of what I'm thankful for.

*My family. I'm very close to them, even though everyone is far away. And, my husband's family. They've made me feel so incredibly welcome.
*My husband. He's awesome. 'Nuff said.
*My daughter. Truly, the light of my life.
*My job. I know I spend a lot of time bitching about it, but find me someone who doesn't complain about their job. I'm grateful that I have a stable, well-paying job during these uncertain economic times. I do enjoy it. Mostly. ;)
*My creature comforts. House, food, clothes, cars. We are able to get pretty much what we want.
*My sense of humor. Because really, if I didn't have a good one, life would really suck.

For instance...I can accept that my store is open on holidays. If someone has an emergency need for, oh, I don't know...Immodium, or baby diapers, or a gallon of milk. That's cool. I can understand that (too bad if you want a prescription though, the pharmacy is closed). But why, in the name of all that is good,would someone go hard-core TOY shopping at a DRUGSTORE on a holiday?! Seriously? (and yes, I did just say "hard core toy shopping at a drugstore," lol) And then have the audacity to look at me with pity and say, "Oh, what a shame you have to be here today. Tsk :condescending pat on the shoulder: You should be home with your family."
Say what?
You mean to tell me that you come into my store, on a holiday, shop for a bunch of crap that is absolutely not essential, and then FEEL SORRY FOR ME THAT I'M WORKING!?! Thanks a lot, asshole. Rub it in a little more that you've already eaten and spent quality time with your family while I'm stuck at work. Awesome.

Thankfully, we stay open 365 days, so I can experience that a couple times a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment