Sunday, September 13, 2009

I wish, I wish...for peaches feet?

So, Sami has recently started wishing on stars. It's so unbelievably cute! Although, at times she's tried to wish on airplanes, but I never have the heart to tell her that it wasn't a star. LOL. Anyway, when she sees a star she says, "I wish I wish for [enter random thing here]." For the past week it was, "I wish I wish that I could have some bunnies." Bunnies? Yeah, we constantly have bunnies in our front yard, so I'm guessing that's where this particular wish comes from. But sorry kid, the wish fairy is not going to be bringing you bunnies! I really don't think that our cat would appreciate that, lolol.

Anyhoo...we went to the Niagara County Peach Festival (in Lewiston, NY) yesterday. It was so much fun. I remember the parade being the Best.Thing.Ever when I was a kid!! Parade started at 11... and it was nearly 1 by the time it was over! WTH? It had every police department, sheriff, fire department, and political figures from the entire county, I swear. And every other group was throwing candy! It was like Halloween!(**note to self: if we do that again next year, bring a bag for the insane amount of loot we'll be coming home with**) And on a side note, there were surprisingly few marching bands in this parade. But a lot of dance studios. Weird.

However, we did a LOT of walking. I mean, a whole lot, and I'm not being overly dramatic. We drove into town, ate breakfast, and left our cars to walk up to the main street to watch the parade. It was only like 3 large blocks, but all uphill. Stood and watched a nearly 2 hour parade. Walked back to the car, only to realize that traffic was so insane that it'd be much easier just to walk to my dad's rather than trying to drive it. So that was another 4 large block walk. We rested for a bit and spent some time with my dad, then walked back to our cars. We then had the brilliant idea of driving up to Niagara Falls so the girls could see this impressive Natural Wonder of the World. So, we get to NF, park, and embark on another walking adventure. This time, at least, I was smart enough to change from flip-flops into my sneakers! We walked to the falls, which the girls didn't seem to be all that impressed by, walked over to Goat Island, walked back, walked walked walked. Got back to the car to sit in the blisfully comfortable car seat! We drove back to the room, when I had to drive up to the festival to get 3 things that my dad wanted:

1. Fresh peach shortcake
2. an elephant ear
3. a Melloni's sausage sandwich with peppers and onions

This involved me driving into town, finding a place to park, walking to the booths to get these items, walking back to the car, delivering it to my dad, going back to the room to get my daughter and my husband, his brother and wife and 2 daughters, so we can go to dinner (which my dad so generously paid for).

This was not as easy as it sounds.

I had to park about a quarter mile away from the festival (there were soo many people in town it was crazy), and walk UPHILL to get this stuff. Fortunately, I didn't have to look for the various tents since they're in nearly the same exact place every year! Then, I had to walk back down to the car. Awesome. When I met the rest of our party, I was tired, dehydrated, sunburned, hungry, and sweating in places that it's just wrong to have sweat. Only to realize that it'd be much easier, logistically speaking, to walk up to the restaurant and then on to the festival since parking was at such a premium. From the room to the festival was about .6 miles, give or take. All uphill, naturally. Why on earth did it feel like we were walking uphill all day long? How does that work, exactly? One would think that with so much uphill walking, there would be some downhill too...but it sure didn't feel that way!! So anyhow, that's what we did. Walked up to the restaurant (had a WONDERFUL dinner, btw), and then walked on to the festival. Walked around there a few times, let the kids ride some rides, then it was time to walk back to the room. I know I sound like I'm whining, but honestly...on the last leg of our pilgrimage, I had to carry Sami for quite a bit, and she weighs over 40 pounds! She was exhausted. With good reason, I might add, we'd been walking literally all day long with no nap! At one point on the way back to the room, she looked up and saw stars and said, "I wish I wish that I could go to bed now." Awwww!

Yes, that was the sound of my heart breaking for this poor child. Or the sound of my feet shattering into a million pieces. Could be either. Maybe both. Who knows?

We finally got back to my dad's at around 8:30 or so. I took Sami upstairs, got ready for bed, and she was OUT before I was even done in the bathroom. Poor baby! Things start to get fuzzy right about then...I remember getting pajamas on and sitting in the armchair to watch the OSU game, but I never saw any of it. I stumbled upstairs before the game was even over, and slept like a dead person until 7:30. And my feet STILL hurt this morning when I woke up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment